Palak Paneer (Cottage Cheese in Spinach Gravy)
Soft paneer cubes in a delicious spinach gravy infused with spices, Palak Paneer is one of the most popular vegetarian dishes. Try out this easy to cook recipe.
- 250 gm spinach
- 200 gm paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- 1-2 green chillies chopped
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- 1 tsp red chillies powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
Clean and wash the spinach. Boil water in a pan. Blanch the spinach until it changes color.
Remove it to a bowl with ice cold water so that it retains its color. Squeeze out the water from the spinach. Puree it into a smooth paste and keep aside.
Cut the paneer into bite sized cubes.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the bay leaf.
Add in the garlic. When it changes color, add the ginger and cook for a minute. Add the chopped onions and the green chillies. Saute until the onions are translucent. Add the tomato puree and saute for a minute or two.
Now add the dry masalas - salt, red chillies powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix well and saute until you can see the oil appearing on the sides.
Add in the spinach puree. Mix well. You can add a bit of water if required.
When it begins to bubble, add in the paneer pieces. Mix until they are well coated. Do not cover the pan or the spinach will lose its color.
To finish, add the garam masala and kasoori methi. Mix well. Palak paneer is ready to serve.
- Paneer pieces can be any shape of your choice but cubes work best. You can also fry the paneer but I prefer the soft texture of the unfried one.
- Do not add turmeric as it would decolorize the spinach.