Gluten-Free Besan (Chickpea Flour) Waffles
Besan chilla as a waffle? Why not! The perfect fusion food. Try this gluten-free, spicy chickpea flour or besan waffle with delicious Indian spices cooked to perfection.
- 1 cup besan (chickpea flour or gram flour)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1-2 green chillies chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green coriander
- 1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp amchoor (dry mango) powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 pinch hing (asafoetida)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Oil for brushing
In a large bowl, add the besan or chickpea flour, ginger garlic paste, chopped green chillies, chopped onions, and chopped ginger.
Now add in the dry masalas - Kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, amchoor powder, turmeric powder, carom seeds, and salt to taste. Add about 3/4 cup of water and mix into a smooth batter. Add in the chopped coriander leaves and a pinch of hing or asafoetida. Mix well. Heat the waffle iron. I have a cast iron one but you can use the electric waffle maker as well. Brush oil on it so that the batter does not stick. Just before cooking the waffles, add in the baking powder and baking soda and mix well. Do not let the batter sit or the waffle will not be soft. Pour the mixture into the waffle iron and cook until golden. Savory Besan Waffles are ready to serve.