Chilli Garlic Tofu
- 200 gms tofu
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Oil for deep frying
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds for garnish
For the marinade
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp light soya sauce
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 1-2 chopped green chillies
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp green chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- To begin, cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces. If you are using silken tofu, soak it in warm water for at least 10-15 minutes so that it stiffens a bit. Or it might be difficult to handle.
- Marinate it with ginger garlic paste, salt, light soy sauce, and red chilli powder. Mix well and keep aside.
- Dice the tomato, capsicum, and onion. Remove the pulp from the tomato. Make sure the size of the vegetables is similar to the tofu.
- Mix together the all-purpose flour and cornflour for dredging in a large bowl. Add in the marinated tofu and mix until the pieces are well coated. Dust off the extra flour.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Fry the tofu pieces until golden. Remove and keep aside.
- To prepare the sauce, heat the sesame oil in a pan. Add the chopped ginger and garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add in the chopped onions and saute until translucent.
- Add in the green chillies and mix. Do not brown the onion.
- Add in the diced capsicum and the onion and mix well. Saute for a minute or two. Add in the diced tomato and mix.
- Add in the tomato puree, tomato sauce, light soy sauce, vinegar, and chilli sauce. Mix well.
- Make a slurry of 1 tbsp cornflour with 1 tbsp of water. Add it to the sauce and cook until it thickens.
- Add in the fried tofu pieces and mix until well coated. Add a bit of water as required if you find the consistency too thick.
- The Chilli Garlic Tofu is ready to serve. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve hot.
Subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.