Spicy Mexican Flautas
For the tortillas
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
For the salsa
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 cup chopped red, yellow, and green bell peppers
- 1-2 chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Mexican seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
For the stuffing
- 1 cup boiled red kidney beans
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Oil for deep frying
- To begin, knead the dough for the tortillas. In a large bowl, take whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. Add a teaspoon of salt and knead it into a soft dough.
- In the meantime, prepare the salsa. Add together onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, green chillies, salt, cumin powder (jeera), Mexican seasoning, chilli flakes, and garlic powder. Mix well and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Roll them out into thin rotis. Cook the tortillas on a hot tawa or griddle. Keep aside.
- To assemble, place the tortilla on a flat surface. Add a portion of the salsa. Top it with some red kidney beans and grated cheese. Roll it up tightly and use a toothpick to set it in place. Prepare the other flautas similarly.
- Heat oil in a pan. Shallow fry the flautas on both sides until golden and crisp.
- The Spicy Mexican Flautas are ready to serve. Serve hot with a salsa dip.
- This recipe makes around 12 flautas.
- Generally, cornmeal is used to make tortillas. But I prefer this version of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. You can adjust the ratio as per your taste.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.
I’m taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter‘s My Friend Alexa.