Shalgam ka Bharta (Turnip Mash)
Servings: 2 people
Enjoy the flavors of winter with the Punjabi speciality – Shalgam ka Bharta. Full of nutrients, this traditional easy-to-cook dish is enjoyed by even the picky eaters.
- 500 gms turnips
- 1/4 cup shelled green peas
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 10-12 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1" piece of ginger finely chopped
- 1-2 chopped green chillies
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Chopped green coriander leaves for garnish
- To begin, peel and wash the turnips. Chop them into small pieces. Boil until soft using less water. If you are using a pressure cooker, give it 4-5 whistles. Roughly mash the turnips and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add in the cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add in the chopped garlic, ginger, and green chillies. Saute until they change color. Do not brown.
- Next, add in the chopped onions and saute. Add in the green peas and saute until the onions are translucent and the peas soften.
- Add the mashed turnips and mix well.
- Add in the dry masalas – salt, turmeric powder, and Kashmiri red chilli powder. Saute until the liquid dries up and oil starts appearing on the sides.
- The Shalgam ka Bharta is ready to serve. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and garam masala. Serve hot with rotis.
- If you don’t like the pungent flavor of turnips, you can discard the water used for boiling.
Subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.