Bacon and Cheese Frittata
Bacon and eggs are the perfect breakfast combination. Add in some cheese and you are good to go. This frittata recipe is a family favorite. A perfect one-pot (pan) meal that works for brunch or dinner too.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp heavy cream (that milai atop the milk would do fine)
- 1 medium potato
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 bowl mixed bell peppers (keep aside a few pieces for garnish)
- Bacon (slices or cubed)
- 1 green chilli (optional)
- 1/2 cup cheese (cheddar or mozzarella)
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- Salt to taste
- Heat a pan and add in 1 tbsp oil.
- Add in the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add in sliced potatoes. And a bit of salt and red chili flakes and cook on medium flame until done.
- In a separate pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add in finely chopped garlic and cook for a minute. Then add in the chopped onions. Once the onions are translucent, mix in chopped mixed bell peppers and cook for a minute. Remove from flame.
- Beat the two eggs with 1 tbsp heavy cream and 1/2 cup cheese. Add in salt to taste, keeping in mind that bacon and cheese would have salt too.
- Now we are ready to set the frittata. Keeping the flame to a minimum, spread the potatoes until they cover the base of the pan. Add in the vegetables to cover the potatoes. Pour in the egg mixture to cover the vegetables. If you want, you can stir it very lightly to get the eggs to cook evenly, but do not touch the potatoes.
- Cover the pan and let it cook on low heat.
- Once the egg is semi-set, top it with the bacon and a few pieces of bell peppers. If you add them before the eggs are semi-set, they will sink and you will not see any bacon on the top.
- Cover the pan again and cook the eggs until done. Check with a knife or a toothpick as you would with a cake. it should come out clean. Make sure the heat is always on a minimum.
- Remove from pan. Cut into wedges and serve hot.
- This is my take on the recipe. You can experiment with your choice of meats and vegetables.