Bandhakopir Ghonto (Cabbage Stir Fry)
Servings: 2 people
Finely shredded cabbage cooked with potatoes and green peas. Rich in vitamins, Bandhakopir Ghonto or Cabbage Stir Fry is a simple yet flavorful dish from the Bengali cuisine.
- 1 medium cabbage finely shredded
- 1 medium potato cubed
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 2 green chillies sliced
- 3 tbsp mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole red chilli
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- To begin, heat mustard oil to a smoking point and let it cool a bit. Add in cumin seeds (jeera), bay leaf, and whole red chillies. Allow the cumin seeds to crackle.
- Add in the potatoes. Saute. Cover and cook on low to medium heat until they are cooked and golden in color.
- In the meantime, in a bowl, mix together the grated ginger, cumin powder, coriander powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Add 1/4 cup of water and mix.
- Add the mixture to the potatoes and cook until the liquid dries up and oil starts appearing on the sides.
- Now add in the green chillies and tomatoes. Saute until the tomatoes soften a bit and oil starts appearing on the sides.
- Add in the peas. Mix well.
- Now add the shredded cabbage and mix well. Cover with a lid until cooked. Make sure it does not turn mushy.
- Finally, add the sugar and the garam masala powder. Check the salt and add more if required.
- The Bandhakopir Ghonto or Cabbage Stir Fry is ready to serve.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.