Bhuna Kathal Masala (Jackfruit Masala)
Raw jackfruit or kathal coated with aromatic Indian spices. A Punjabi style preparation of the superfood that is high in protein and fiber. Try out this simple yet delicious vegetarian dish.
- 250 gms raw jackfruit or kathal
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2-3 chopped green chillies
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tbsp amchoor (dry mango powder)
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Add in ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute. Add in the chopped green chillies and saute some more
- Add in the finely chopped tomatoes and mix well. Add in ½ tsp salt so that the tomatoes cook faster.
- When the tomatoes are cooked and you can see oil appearing on the edges, add in the dry masalas – cumin powder (jeera), coriander powder (dhania), amchoor or dry mango powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, and turmeric powder(haldi). Mix well and add a bit of water so that masalas do not burn. Saute for a minute or two until you can see oil appearing on the edges again.
- Adjust the gravy as needed. I prefer the semi-dry version. Check the salt and add more if required.
- To finish, add the garam masala and mix well.
- The Bhuna Kathal Masala is ready to serve. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Raw jackfruit is extremely sticky. Be sure to oil your hands well before cutting into it.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.
April 21, 2021 @ 4:21 pm
I love jackfruit/ kathal a lot. My mom makes yumm kathal, your recipe reminds me of her preparation., will sure try it.
April 22, 2021 @ 10:28 am
Thank you so much Beta. Do try it out. 😊
April 28, 2021 @ 10:51 pm
I love Jackfruit. My mother used to make this & many Jackfruit dishes.
Even the pakodas taste great.
April 29, 2021 @ 10:30 am
Jackfruit is quite versatile. We also enjoy the pickle.