Cajun-Style Red Beans and Rice
Give the popular rajma chawal a twist. Red beans and rice flavored with warm Cajun spices. This is my take on the classic recipe. Perfect for a quick and healthy weekday meal.
- 2 cups pre-boiled long grain rice
- 1 cup pre-boiled red kidney beans
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced bell peppers (red, yellow, and green)
- 2 tbsp Cajun spice powder (see below)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp chopped green coriander leaves for garnish
Cajun spice powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- To begin, prepare the Cajun spice powder. Mix together garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika powder, oregano, thyme, cumin powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, salt, and red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add in finely chopped garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add in the diced onions and cook until translucent.
- Add in diced bell peppers and cook for a few minutes. Make sure they are not too soft and retain a bite.
- Next, add in 2 tbsp of the Cajun spice powder prepared earlier. Mix well.
- Add in pre-boiled red kidney beans and pre-boiled long grain rice. Mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on low heat so that the flavors are absorbed by the rice and vegetables.
- Check the salt and add more if required.
- The Cajun Style Red Beans & Rice is ready to serve. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- The Cajun spice powder can be stored in an air-tight container for further use.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.