Chana Dal (Split Chickpea) Seekh Kebabs
- 1 cup chana dal (split chickpea)
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tbsp amchoor (dry mango) powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 cube Maggi Veg Super Seasoning (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped green coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 2-3 green chillies finely chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs (2 slices)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- To begin, bil the chana dal until soft but it should retain a bite. If you are using a pressure cooker, give it about three whistles. Drain the dal and allow it to stand for a few minutes until cooled.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dal, cornflour, ginger garlic paste, Kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder (jeera), coriander powder (dhania), amchoor or dry mango powder, garam masala powder, Maggi veg super seasoning (optional), chopped fresh green coriander leaves, chopped fresh mint leaves, finely chopped green chilies, and fresh breadcrumbs.
- Mix well. Check the salt and add more if required. Crush the dal but make sure it does not turn into a paste. It should be a firm dough-like consistency.
- Divide the mixture into ten equal portions depending on the size of the kebabs. Using a skewer, shape the mixture into seekh kebabs.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Add the kebabs in batches on high heat. Reduce the heat to a medium and fry the kebabs until golden brown. Do not handle the kebabs too much before they color or they might disintegrate.
- The Chana Dal Seekh Kebabs are ready to serve. Serve hot with pickled onions, lemon slices, and chutneys of your choice
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.