Chicken Shepherd’s Pie
For the filling
- 300 gms chicken mince
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 5 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- Salt to taste
For the topping
- 2 cups boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg yolk
- To begin, prepare the filling. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan.
- Add in a bay leaf. Add in the chopped garlic and saute until it begins to change color.
- Add in the chopped onions. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Next, add the vegetables. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add in the chicken mince and cook until the liquid dries up a bit.
- Now add in the chicken stock and cook until the chicken mince is done.
- Add in Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, and tomato sauce. Mix well. Cover with a lid and cook until the sauce dries up a bit.
- Finally, add in black pepper powder, rosemary, and thyme. Mix well. Make sure it is not too dry because it would bake in the oven.
- Check the salt and add more if required. Remove to a bowl and keep aside.
- For the topping, take boiled and mashed potatoes in a large bowl. Add in salt, butter, and an egg yolk. Mix well and keep aside.
- To assemble the pie, in an oven-proof dish, spread out the filling in an even layer. Top it with the mashed potatoes and smoothen them out. With a fork, create a design of your choice.
- In a pre-heated oven, bake it at 220°C for 20 minutes or until the potatoes start to color.
- The Chicken Shepherd's Pie is ready to serve.
- If you don’t have stock readily available, dissolve a cube of Maggi Super Seasoning in a cup of water as I have.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.