Cream of Spinach Soup
- 250 gms spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2" piece of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 cup cream
- Salt to taste
- To begin, clean and wash spinach leaves. Boil water in a pan. Blanch the spinach until it changes color. Remove it to a bowl with ice-cold water so that it retains its color.
- Squeeze out the water from the spinach. Keep aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add in the bay leaf and cinnamon.
- Add chopped garlic and saute for a minute.
- Next, add in chopped onions and saute until translucent. Do not brown.
- Remove from heat and let it cool. Remove the bay leaf and the cinnamon stick. Add the blanched spinach and blend into a smooth paste.
- Heat the pan again and pour in the puree. Add in the vegetable stock.
- Add in black pepper powder. Bring to a simmer. Add in a slurry of 1 tbsp cornflour mixed in 1 tbsp water.
- Once it begins to thicken, add in the cream. Keep it on simmer, do not boil the soup or it might curdle.
- Check the salt and add more if required.
- The Cream of Spinach Soup is ready to serve. Garnish with a swirl of cream and serve hot.
- If you don’t have vegetable stock readily available, dissolve two cubes of Maggi Super Seasoning in 2 cups of water.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.