Easy Spicy Chicken Pulao
Servings: 2 people
A delicious blend of spices, flavorful chicken, and fragrant rice. Easy Spicy Chicken Pulao is the perfect one-pot dish for weeknight dinners or a special occasion.
For the marinade
- 400 gms curry cut chicken
- 1/2 cup curd
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
For the pulao
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- Whole garam masala (see below)
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1-2 chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Whole garam masala
- 6 cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1" piece of cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 5 green cardamoms
- 1 star anise
- 1 piece of mace
- 1 tbsp fried onions
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1-2 lemon wedges
- To begin, marinate the chicken with curd, ginger garlic paste, salt, Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder (dhania), and garam masala powder. Keep aside for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash and soak the basmati rice for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the bay leaves, cumin seeds, and the whole garam masala. Saute until they release their aroma.
- Add in the sliced onions along with chopped green chilies. Saute for a minute.
- Add in the ginger garlic paste and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Now add in the tomatoes with salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes until oil begins to appear on the sides.
- Next, add in the marinated chicken. Mix well. Cover with a lid and cook until the liquid dries up.
- Drain the rice and add it to the pan. Mix gently.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water and mix. When the water starts to bubble, lower the heat to the minimum. Cover it with a lid and let it cook until the water dries up and the rice is done. It would take about 10-15 minutes. Do not stir the rice while it is cooking or it might break.
- When done, switch off the heat and let it rest for a few minutes. Remove the lid and fluff up the rice.
- The Easy Spicy Chicken Pulao is ready to serve. Garnish with fried onions, chopped green coriander leaves, and lemon wedges. Served with dahi tadka.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every week.
This post was created for the Blogaberry Creative (Monthly) Challenge.