Egg in a Hole
Plain old eggs and toast get boring after a while. Try out this popular recipe that is a hit with the kids. What’s more, you can experiment with different shapes.
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium tomato
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp chili sauce
- 1 tbsp Light Soy sauce
- 1 tsp mixed herb seasoning
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 cup cheese (cheddar or mozzarella)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- First, prepare the bread slices. Cut out the desired shape inside a bread slice. I prefer a square. You can cut out circles, or hearts. Save the cut-out portion.
- Heat a pan and add in 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add in finely chopped garlic and cook for a minute. Then add in the chopped onions. Once the onions are translucent, mix in the tomatoes. Add in chili sauce, soy sauce, mixed herb seasoning, and chili flakes.
- Beat the two eggs. Add in salt to taste, keeping in mind that cheese would have salt too.
- Now arrange the slices on the pan so that the mixture is within the slices. Pat it down a bit.
- Pour in the egg to cover the mixture.
- Top it with grated cheese and place the cut-out portion of slices on top. Press them down.
- Cook on low flame until the eggs are done. Spread a bit of oil on the slices and flip them.
- Cook until crisp and serve hot with ketchup or your favorite sauce.
- You can also add in bacon, salami, shredded chicken, or any cold cut of your choice.
For more such easy to cook recipes, download my cookbook Easy Recipes from Mads’ Cookhouse. The book is free to download for a very limited time. Grab your copy today!