Goan Chicken Vindaloo
- 500 gms curry cut chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tsp tamarind pulp
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
For the vindaloo masala
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds (dhania)
- 1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 8 peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1" piece of cinnamon
- 10-12 soaked red chillies
- 1" piece of ginger
- 8-10 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- Soak 10-12 red chillies in warm water overnight. De-seed them as per how hot you want the masala.
- To prepare the vindaloo masala, first grind together cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, peppercorns, cloves, green cardamoms, and cinnamon.
- Next, add in the soaked red chillies, ginger, and garlic. Grind it into a paste. Finally, add in the vinegar and blend it into a fine paste.
- Take the curry-cut chicken in a large bowl. Add the vindaloo masala, salt, turmeric powder, and tamarind pulp. Mix well and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add in the finely chopped onions and saute until translucent.
- Add in the marinated chicken and sear on high heat.
- Add in about half a cup of water, reduce the heat, cover with a lid, and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Adjust the gravy. Check the salt and add more if required.
- Chicken Vindaloo is ready to serve.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.