Goan Chicken Xacuti
With a delicious blend of coconut and aromatic spices, the Goan Chicken Xacuti is rich in taste and flavors. Try out my version of this fiery and popular Goanese chicken curry dish.
- 300 gms curry cut chicken (half a chicken)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
Dry Xacuti Powder
- 10 peppercorns
- 8 cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 star anise
- 2" piece of cinnamon
- 5 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 pcs mace
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds (dhania)
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 3 whole Kashmiri red chillies
- 1 tsp oil
- 8 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1″ piece of ginger chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1-2 chopped green chillies
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- Salt to taste
- Chopped green coriander leaves for garnish
- To begin, marinate the chicken. In a large bowl, add in lemon juice, salt, turmeric powder, and ginger garlic paste. Mix well and leave aside for at least half an hour.
- Next, prepare the dry xacuti masala powder. In a teaspoon of oil, dry roast peppercorns, cloves, cumin seeds, star anise, cinnamon, green cardamoms, black cardamom, mace, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, and Kashmiri red chillies. Once they turn aromatic, turn off the heat, and allow it cool. Grind into a fine powder.
- To make the wet paste, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add in the chopped garlic and ginger. Saute for a minute. Add in the sliced onion and chopped green chillies and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Next, add in the grated coconut and lightly roast for a few minutes until it changes color. Grind this mixture into a smooth paste adding a bit of water.
- To finally prepare the dish, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add in the finely chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Now add marinated chicken and sear on high flame.
- Next, add in the wet paste and dry xacuti masala. Mix well.
- Add in about a cup of water and mix. Once it begins to bubble, lower the heat, cover with a lid, and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked. You can add more water if required.
- Finally, add in tamarind pulp. Mix. Check the salt and add more as required.
- The Goan Chicken Xacuti is ready to serve. Serve hot with pav bread or rice.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.