Goan Red Fish Curry
Sorak curry is a traditional Goanese coconut-based curry prepared when fish is not available. Try out my version of the spicy and tangy red curry with fish that is packed with flavors.
- 500 gm fish fillet
- 2 tbsp oil
- 8-10 Kashmiri red chillies
- 1 tbsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 8-10 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2" piece of ginger
- 6 cloves
- 8-10 peppercorns
- 5 green cardamoms
- 2" piece of cinnamon
- To begin, soak the Kashmiri red chillies in hot water for 2-3 hours. De-seed them and blend them into a smooth paste. If you prefer a hotter version, leave a few chillies with seeds.
- Marinate the fish fillets with salt, turmeric powder and lemon juice. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare the curry paste by blending together grated coconut, tamarind paste, onion, garlic, and ginger.
- Add the red chilli paste prepared earlier. Add in the ground garam masala. Mix well.
- Next add cumin powder (jeera) and coriander powder (dhania). Mix.
- Add in the fish fillets. Cover with a lid again and let it simmer until the fish is cooked.
- The Goan Red Fish Curry is ready to serve. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.