Hot & Spicy Chilli Chicken
- 500 gms boneless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers
- Oil for deep frying
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds for garnish
For the marinade
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
For the sauce
- 4-6 whole red chilies
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- To begin, soak 4-6 dried red chilies in hot water for 2-3 hours. De-seed half of them and blend into a smooth paste adding a bit of water. If you prefer a hotter version, you can leave the seeds intact.
- Cut the boneless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
- Marinate with light soy sauce, vinegar, baking soda, and an egg. Mix well and keep aside for at least 10 minutes.
- For dredging, mix together all-purpose flour and cornflour in a large bowl. Add in the marinated chicken and mix until the pieces are well coated. Dust off the extra flour.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Add the chicken pieces in batches on high heat. Then reduce the heat and fry until cooked and golden. Make sure they do not brown.
- To prepare the chilli sauce – mix the chili paste you prepared earlier with light soy sauce, vinegar, and chilli sauce in a large bowl.
- Heat 2 tbsp of sesame oil in a pan. Add the chopped garlic and ginger. Saute for a minute.
- Add in the diced onions and bell peppers. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add in the sauce mix and boil it for 2-3 minutes.
- Make a slurry of 1 tbsp cornflour with 2 tbsp of water. Add it to the sauce and cook until it thickens.
- Finally, add in the fried chicken pieces and mix until well coated. Add a bit of water if needed.
- The Chilli Chicken is ready to serve. Garnish with sesame seeds.
- Baking soda helps chicken pieces become more tender and juicy.
- If you don’t have dried red chillies available, you can use a teaspoon of red chilli powder mixed in water instead.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.