Instant Rava (Semolina) Idli
We all love soft and spongy idlis. The traditional method requires hours of soaking and fermenting. Try this instant microwave recipe instead. Just as soft and delectable.
- 1 cup semolina (sooji or rava)
- 1 cup curd
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt or 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Oil for brushing
- Dry roast the semolina till it is aromatic. Remove from fire and allow it to cool.
- Mix in semolina, curd, water, and salt to form a smooth paste. Let it stand for a minimum of 10 minutes so that the semolina can soak in the liquids.
- When ready to cook, add in 1 tsp of Eno fruit salt. Mix well stirring in one direction only.
- Fill in the water into the microwavable idli maker/ steamer to the desired level making sure it does not touch the idli mould.
- Grease the idli mould. Pour in the idli batter uptil three-fourths. This ensures that the idlis have space to rise.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Let it stand for 5 minutes before removing it from the microwave.
- Demould the idlis and serve them hot with your favorite chutneys.
- If using a regular steamer, cook for 10-15 minutes until the idlis are cooked.
For more such easy to cook recipes, download my cookbook Easy Recipes from Mads’ Cookhouse. The book is free to download for a very limited time. Grab your copy today!
April 10, 2020 @ 3:00 pm
This happens to be my husband’s favourite breakfast and he prepares it very well. Thank you for adding your bits here aunty.
April 11, 2020 @ 3:30 pm
Thank you beta.
April 10, 2020 @ 5:01 pm
We have rava idli very often at home. It is a real delicacy that our entire family loves. We are south Indians. I am very fond of rava dosa too.
April 11, 2020 @ 3:31 pm
My family loves them too.
April 10, 2020 @ 6:52 pm
It takes so less time?? Wow, that’s great!! We love Idli, we will try this for sure. Thanks for sharing it here Aunty.
April 11, 2020 @ 3:32 pm
I promised easy recipes 🙂 Hope you enjoy them.
April 10, 2020 @ 7:24 pm
Love idlis, love the chutneys even more. Thanks for the tips. Have a great A-Z.
April 11, 2020 @ 3:33 pm
Thank you. Have a great A-Z too.
April 10, 2020 @ 7:38 pm
Wow. This is my husband’s favorite dish. He loves Idli in general but semolina idli/rava Idli are his favorites.
April 11, 2020 @ 3:34 pm
Thank you, beta.
April 12, 2020 @ 1:25 am
All these recipes are making me visit your blog everyday. I love idli. I mostly make the original for with rice and lentil but semolina idli I never tried…
April 13, 2020 @ 10:48 pm
Thank you for visiting daily, beta. Glad you are liking the recipes. Do try the semolina version.
April 12, 2020 @ 5:44 pm
Idlis are looking so soft and fluffy. Really quick and easy.
April 13, 2020 @ 10:49 pm
Cocktail Idlis - Mads' Cookhouse
June 5, 2020 @ 12:07 pm
[…] If using a microwave, follow the instructions here. […]