Instant Rava (Semolina) Idli
We all love soft and spongy idlis. The traditional method requires hours of soaking and fermenting. Try this instant microwave recipe instead. Just as soft and delectable.
- 1 cup semolina (sooji or rava)
- 1 cup curd
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt or 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Oil for brushing
- Dry roast the semolina till it is aromatic. Remove from fire and allow it to cool.
- Mix in semolina, curd, water, and salt to form a smooth paste. Let it stand for a minimum of 10 minutes so that the semolina can soak in the liquids.
- When ready to cook, add in 1 tsp of Eno fruit salt. Mix well stirring in one direction only.
- Fill in the water into the microwavable idli maker/ steamer to the desired level making sure it does not touch the idli mould.
- Grease the idli mould. Pour in the idli batter uptil three-fourths. This ensures that the idlis have space to rise.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Let it stand for 5 minutes before removing it from the microwave.
- Demould the idlis and serve them hot with your favorite chutneys.
- If using a regular steamer, cook for 10-15 minutes until the idlis are cooked.
For more such easy to cook recipes, download my cookbook Easy Recipes from Mads’ Cookhouse. The book is free to download for a very limited time. Grab your copy today!