Jeera Aloo (Spicy Cumin Potatoes)
- 4-5 large potatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1-2 green chillies chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chillies powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp amchoor powder (ground mango powder)
- 1/2 tsp dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- 1 tbsp green coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes and cut them into bite sized pieces.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan.
- Add in the cumin seeds (jeera). When they begin to crackle, add in the chopped onions and saute.
- Add in the chopped ginger and green chillies. Add the boiled potatoes and mix well.
- Add in turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chillies powder, amchoor powder, and salt to taste.
- Crush the dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) and add them to the potatoes.
- Mix well and cover for a few minutes so that the potatoes soak in the masalas.
- To finish, add in the green coriander leaves. Mix well and serve hot garnished with some more coriander leaves.
- Mustard oil can be replaced with any other oil of your choice. But it works best for this recipe.
- If amchoor (dry mango powder) is not available, you can use the juice of one lemon.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.