Jeera Aloo (Spicy Cumin Potatoes)
There is nothing quite as satisfying as Jeera Aloo or spicy cumin potatoes. Quick and easy to make, it is a perfect side for lunch or dinner. Each family has its own variation. This is my version.
- 4-5 large potatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1-2 green chillies chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chillies powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp amchoor powder (ground mango powder)
- 1/2 tsp dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- 1 tbsp green coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes and cut them into bite sized pieces.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan.
- Add in the cumin seeds (jeera). When they begin to crackle, add in the chopped onions and saute.
- Add in the chopped ginger and green chillies. Add the boiled potatoes and mix well.
- Add in turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chillies powder, amchoor powder, and salt to taste.
- Crush the dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) and add them to the potatoes.
- Mix well and cover for a few minutes so that the potatoes soak in the masalas.
- To finish, add in the green coriander leaves. Mix well and serve hot garnished with some more coriander leaves.
- Mustard oil can be replaced with any other oil of your choice. But it works best for this recipe.
- If amchoor (dry mango powder) is not available, you can use the juice of one lemon.
For more such easy to cook recipes, get my cookbook Easy Recipes from Mads’ Cookhouse now available at Amazon. Grab your copy today!