Khasta Urad Dal Kachoris
Servings: 8 kachoris
Khasta, crispy, and flaky kachoris with a spicy urad dal stuffing. The urad dal kachoris are a perfect all-time snack or a meal in itself that will have you reaching out for more. Try this easy-to-cook recipe.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup water
- Oil for deep frying
For the stuffing
- 1/2 cup dhuli urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp fennel powder (saunf)
- 1/2 tsp dry ginger powder (sounth)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 2 tsp amchoor (dry mango) powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 pinch hing (asafoetida)
- 1 tbsp gram flour (besan)
- 2 tbsp oil
- To begin, soak dhuli urad dal (split black gram) in water for 2-3 hours. Drain well. Grind it coarsely and keep aside.
- To prepare the dough, take all-purpose flour in a large bowl. Add in salt and melted ghee or clarified butter. Rub it in until you get a breadcrumb consistency.
- Knead it into a soft dough using water. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- To prepare the stuffing, heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add in the dry masalas on low heat – cumin powder (jeera), coriander powder (dhania), fennel powder (saunf), dry ginger powder (sonth), salt, Kashmiri red chilli powder, amchoor (dry mango powder), garam masala powder, and a pinch of asafoetida (hing). Mix well.
- Add in 1 tbsp gram flour (besan) and roast until you can smell the aroma.
- Add in the coarsely ground dal. Mix well. Cook until the moisture dries up. Remove into a bowl to cool. Do not leave it in the pan.
- Once the dough is well rested, knead it again. Divide it into ten equal portions.
- Shape them into balls and roll them out about 2-3 inches in diameter. Apply water to the edges. Add in about 2 tbsps of stuffing in the middle. Crimp the edges and gather them in the center for the desired kachori shape. Press it down and roll it out a bit again.
- Heat oil for deep frying on low to medium heat. Add in the kachoris knotted side down. Allow them to rise to the top before turning them over.
- Fry on medium heat until golden in color.
- The Urad Dal Kachoris are ready to serve. Enjoy them with potato curry.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.