Masala Oats Idli
- 1 cup instant oats
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 1/2 tsp dhuli urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 tsp chana dal (split chickpea)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 cup semolina (sooji)
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup curd
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt or 1/2 tsp baking soda
- To begin, dry roast the instant oats on low heat until it dries a bit. I have used Quaker Oats for this recipe. Keep aside. Allow it to cool and grind it into a coarse powder.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan. Add in mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, cumin seeds, and curry leaves. Allow them to crackle.
- Next, add in ginger garlic paste, and grated carrots. Mix. Add in turmeric powder and saute for a minute or two.
- Now add in the semolina and cook until you can smell the aroma.
- Finally, add in the powdered oats and mix. Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Once the mixture has completely cooled down, in a large bowl, mix it together with salt, curd, and half the water. Mix well. Add more water if it is too dry. Keep aside to rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Once the batter has rested, add in the Eno fruit salt and mix.
- I have cooked the idlis in a microwave. Fill in the water into the microwavable idli maker/ steamer to the required level making sure it does not touch the idli mould.
- Grease the idli mould. Pour in the batter until three-fourths. This ensures that the idlis have space to rise.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Let it stand for 5 minutes before removing it from the microwave.
- Demould the idlis and serve them hot with your favorite chutneys.
- If you are using a regular steamer, cook the idlis for 10-15 minutes until they are done.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.
Listen to the Podcast
This blog post is part of the blog challenge ‘Blogaberry Dazzle’ hosted by Cindy D’Silva and Noor Anand Chawla in collaboration with Mojo Box – A great way to sample brands before buying them.