Masala Oats Upma
Looking for a healthy breakfast idea? Try out the Masala Oats Upma that is packed with protein and fibre. It is just as hearty and delicious. The perfect start to the day.
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1" piece of ginger chopped
- 8-10 garlic cloves chopped
- 1-2 chopped green chillies
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed vegetables (carrots, beans, peas, and corn)
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp amchoor (dry mango) powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander for garnish
- To begin, dry roast the oats until crisp. Be careful not to brown them too much. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil. Sesame oil works best for this recipe.
- Add in mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Add in the curry leaves.
- Next, add in the chopped garlic, ginger, and green chillies followed by half of the onions. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add in the vegetables and cook until a bit tender.
- Add in Kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, amchoor powder, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Add in the roasted oats and mix well.
- Add in a cup of water. Cook for a few minutes until it forms the consistency you prefer. My family likes a drier version. That requires a bit longer cooking time.
- Add in the remaining onions and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
- My cookhouse is a nut-free cookhouse. Feel free to add peanuts, cashews, or any nuts of your choice.
- Both instant oats (Quaker Oats or similar) and rolled oats work for this recipe.