Matar Pulao (Green Peas Pulao)
Matar pulao (green peas pulao) was a staple in our home growing up. My father's favorite, he would insist on an equal amount of rice and peas for that perfect flavor. Each family has its own recipe. This one using preboiled rice works perfectly with leftover rice.
- 1 cup boiled rice
- 1/2 cup parboiled green peas
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 5 green cardamom
- 2 black cardamom
- 1″ piece of cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 1 piece of mace
- Salt to taste
- Coriander for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add in the cumin seeds, bay leaf, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, star anise, and mace. Saute for a minute until they begin to pop.
- Add in the sliced onion and ginger garlic paste and cook until translucent.
- Add in the green peas. Saute for a minute.
- Add the rice and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander and serve hot.
- If you are using frozen peas, parboil them before cooking the rice.
- Make sure to add salt to the rice when you boil it.
For more such easy to cook recipes, get my cookbook Easy Recipes from Mads’ Cookhouse now available at Amazon. Grab your copy today!