Nut-Free Lemon Rice
Servings: 2 people
Chitranna. Nimmakaya Pulihora. Spicy, tangy, and easy to make. Lemon Rice is a classic flavorful staple from Southern India. An excellent way to use leftover rice, it works great for tiffin boxes too. Try out this nut-free recipe.
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 1 tsp chana dal (split chickpea)
- 1 tsp urad dal (split black gram)
- 1-2 whole red chillies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1-2 chopped green chillies
- 1/2" piece of ginger chopped
- 2 cups boiled leftover rice
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped green coriander leaves
- Heat 2 tbsp sesame oil in a pan. Add in mustard seeds (sarson), chana dal (split chickpea), and urad dal (split black gram). Mix. My kitchen is a nut-free kitchen. If you are using peanuts, add them now.
- Add in whole red chillies broken into two, curry leaves, and asafoetida (hing). Saute until the dals begin to colorize.
- Next, add in chopped ginger and green chillies.
- Now add in the boiled rice along with salt to taste and turmeric powder (haldi). Mix well. Cover with a lid and let it cook for a minute or two.
- Turn off the heat. Finish with lemon juice and chopped green coriander leaves. Mix well. Check the salt and add more if required.
- The Nut-Free Lemon Rice is ready to serve. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Make sure the rice is room temperature and not hot. Day-old or leftover rice works best for this recipe.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every week.