Nut-Free Raw Mango Rice
Servings: 2 people
Makes the most of the summers! A popular rice dish from Southern India, Raw Mango Rice is a variation of lemon rice but with the tanginess of raw mangoes. Try out this nut-free, vegan recipe.
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 1 tsp dhuli urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 tsp chana dal (split chickpea)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 cup grated raw green mangoes
- 2 green chillies sliced
- 1/2" piece of ginger chopped
- 2 cups boiled rice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- To begin, peel and grate 1 cup raw green mangoes and keep aside. Take 2 cups of boiled rice and keep aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan. Add in mustard seeds (sarson), chana dal (split chickpea), and urad dal (split black gram). Mix. My kitchen is a nut-free kitchen. If you are using peanuts, add them now.
- Add in asafoetida (hing) and curry leaves. Saute until the dals begin to colorize.
- Next, add in the grated mangoes. Mix well.
- Add in the green chillies and ginger. Saute until the liquid dries up a bit.
- Now add in the boiled rice along with turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Cover with a lid and let it cook for a minute or two.
- Finish with chopped green coriander leaves. Mix well. Check the salt and add more if required.
- The Raw Mango Rice is ready to serve. Garnish with whole red chillies and chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot.
- Make sure the rice is at room temperature and not hot. Day-old rice works best for this recipe.
- My kitchen is a nut-free kitchen. Feel free to add nuts of your choice. Peanuts and cashews go well with this recipe.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every week.