Palak Paneer (Cottage Cheese in Spinach Gravy)
Soft paneer cubes in a delicious spinach gravy infused with spices, Palak Paneer is one of the most popular vegetarian dishes. Try out this easy to cook recipe.
- 250 gm spinach
- 200 gm paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- 1-2 green chillies chopped
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- 1 tsp red chillies powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Clean and wash the spinach. Boil water in a pan. Blanch the spinach until it changes color.
- Remove it to a bowl with ice cold water so that it retains its color. Squeeze out the water from the spinach. Puree it into a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Cut the paneer into bite sized cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the bay leaf.
- Now add the dry masalas – salt, red chillies powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix well and saute until you can see the oil appearing on the sides.
- Add in the spinach puree. Mix well. You can add a bit of water if required.
- When it begins to bubble, add in the paneer pieces. Mix until they are well coated. Do not cover the pan or the spinach will lose its color.
- To finish, add the garam masala and kasoori methi. Mix well. Palak paneer is ready to serve.
- Paneer pieces can be any shape of your choice but cubes work best. You can also fry the paneer but I prefer the soft texture of the unfried one.
- Do not add turmeric as it would decolorize the spinach.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.
Listen to the Podcast
This post is a part of My Friend Alexa Season 5 with Blogchatter.