Parippu Vada (Chana Dal Vada)
Servings: 2 people
Spicy and crunchy, the Parippu Vada or Chana Dal Vada is a popular street food in South India. Try out this gluten-free vegan recipe for an all-time favorite snack.
- 1 cup chana dal (split chickpea)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1" piece of ginger finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 pinch hing (asafoetida)
- Oil for deep frying
- To begin, soak the chana dal for 3-4 hours. Drain out the water and let it stand for at least half an hour.
- Grind the dal coarsely without adding any water. If you are using a mixer grinder, give it 4-5 pulses.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl. Add in the onions, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves, salt to taste, black pepper, and hing. Mix well.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- To make the vada, shape the mixture into a lemon size ball and press it down between your palms. It should be thick in the middle and thinner on the edges. Prepare the other vadas similarly.
- Deep fry the vadas on medium heat until golden brown and crisp.
- The Parippu Vadas are ready to serve. Serve them hot with your favorite chutneys.
- If you have accidentally added water while grinding, add a few teaspoons of rice powder to make the mixture manageable.
Subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.
Grab your FREE copy of My Mystery Cookbook 2021, a collection of 20 of my favorite recipes.
December 15, 2021 @ 11:42 am
Looks super delicious and vada is the most favorite dish for me all the time! Loved the free recipe given here. Keep sharing
December 15, 2021 @ 11:59 am
Thank you so much 😊