Plaited Potato Mushroom Pie
Servings: 2 people
Savory mushrooms wrapped in a crisp potato pastry. The Plaited Potato Mushroom Pie is a meal itself and perfect for picnics and tiffin boxes too. Try out this family favorite that is easy to make.
For the dough
- 1/2 cup boiled and grated potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup margarine or ghee
For the stuffing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1" piece of ginger finely chopped
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 1-2 chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bell peppers
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 tbsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp chilli sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Milk for brushing
- To begin, prepare the dough for the pie. Take boiled and mashed potatoes in a large bowl. Add in all-purpose flour and mix well.
- Next, add in salt and baking powder. Mix.
- Finally, add in melted ghee. Knead it into a tight dough. Cover and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the stuffing. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan.
- Add in finely chopped garlic and ginger. Saute until they begin to change color.
- Add in finely chopped onions and green chillies. Add in a teaspoon of salt. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Next, add in chopped bell peppers and mix well.
- Add in the finely chopped tomatoes and cook for a minute or two.
- Finely add in a cup of sliced mushrooms. Mix well. Cover with a lid and cook until the mushrooms soften a bit.
- Now, add in a cumin powder, black pepper powder, chilli sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until the liquid dries up but make sure it is not too dry. Remove to a bowl and let it cool down completely.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven at 170°C.
- To prepare the pies, divide the dough into four equal portions. Roll them out into rectangles ¼ inch thickness.
- Add in a few tablespoons of the stuffing and shape it into a rectangle.
- Make cuts diagonally along the sides about ½ inch apart. And a few on the top. Fold in the top and bottom first. Then continue to fold in the sides alternatively overlapping each other so as to form a plait.
- Grease the baking tray. Place the pies and brush with a bit of milk. Bake the pies at 170°C for 30-35 minutes or until the pies are well colored.
- The Plaited Potato Mushroom Pies are ready to serve.
- You can use any kind of stuffing for the pies.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.