Rava (Semolina) Upma
Rava (Semolina) Upma is a popular breakfast dish from southern India. This is my take on a healthy version loaded with vegetables.
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stem of curry leaf
- 1 medium onion
- 1″ piece of ginger
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed vegetables (carrots, beans, peas)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp amchoor powder (ground mango powder)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 green chilli
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- First, roast the semolina in a tablespoon of oil. Be careful not to brown it too much. Remove from the utensil and keep aside.
- Clean the utensil and heat 1-2 tbsp of oil.
- Add in mustard seeds and wait until they begin to crackle.
- Add in the curry leaves.
- Next, add in the chopped chili, garlic and ginger followed by onions. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add in the vegetables and cook until a bit tender. You can use blanched vegetables.
- Add in salt, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, and amchoor powder.
- Add in the roasted semolina and mix well.
- Add in 1 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook for a few minutes until it forms the consistency you prefer. My family likes a drier version. That requires a bit longer cooking time.
- Serve hot.
- My cookhouse is a nut-free cookhouse. Feel free to add peanuts or cashews or any nuts of your choice.