Savory Rava (Semolina) Waffles
Give your regular breakfast uttapams a twist with the Savory Rava Waffles. Loaded with veggies, these healthy and nutritious waffles are the perfect way to start the day.
For the batter
- 1 cup rava or semolina
- 1/2 cup curd
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tbsp amchoor (dry mango) powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp sambhar masala
- 1 pinch hing (asafoetida)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1" piece of ginger finely chopped
- 1-2 chopped green chillies
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots and beans
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bell peppers
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
For the tempering
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal (split chickpea)
- 1 tsp dhuli urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- To begin, in a large bowl, mix together rava, curd, and water. Leave aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the rava to soak in the liquids.
- When it has tightened a bit, mix in the ginger garlic paste, onions, ginger, green chillies, and vegetables.
- Next, add in the dry masalas – salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, amchoor powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, sambhar masala, and asafoetida. Mix well.
- For the tempering, heat oil in a tadka pan. Add in the chana dal and urad dal. When they begin to change color, add in the mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Add the curry leaves and pour the tadka over the batter.
- Mix well. Add a bit of water so that it is of an idli batter consistency. Check the salt and add more if required.
- In the meantime, pre-heat the waffle iron.
- Finally, add the baking powder and the baking soda to the batter. Mix well.
- Once the waffle iron is hot, grease it well with oil and pour in about a ladleful of the batter depending on the size of the waffle iron.
- Close the waffle iron lid and cook until done. Do not attempt to open the lid to check before it is cooked or the waffles might disintegrate. I used an electric waffle iron and it takes about 10-12 minutes to cook.
- The Savory Rava Waffles are ready to serve. Garnish with fried curry leaves and serve them hot with your favorite chutney.
- You can use any vegetables of your choice for the waffles.
I’m taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter‘s My Friend Alexa.