Sookhi Dal Amritsari (Dry Urad Dal)
Protein-packed and flavor in every bite. The Sookhi Dal Amritsari is a classic Punjabi dish and is absolutely delicious with mutton curry and lachcha parathas. It is just as easy to make at home.
- 1 cup dhuli urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2-3 chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp hing or asafoetida
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Next, add in the chopped tomato and cook for a minute.
- Now add in the drained dal and mix well. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add in the dry masalas – salt, Kashmiri red chilli powder, and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add in hing or asafoetida
- When it starts to boil, lower the heat and cover it with a lid. Cook on low heat until the water dries up. Stir occasionally. Do not add extra water. There should be a bite in the dal.
- When the water has dried up, finish it with the juice of one lemon. Mix well.
- The Sookhi Dal Amritsari is ready to serve. Sprinkle a bit of garam masala on top and garnish with coriander leaves.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.