Spicy Black Pepper Chicken
- 500 gms boneless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers (red and green)
- Oil for deep frying
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds for garnish
For the marinade
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp black pepper coarsely ground
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes (optional)
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- To begin, cut the boneless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, marinate the chicken with light soy sauce, vinegar, baking soda, and an egg. Mix well and keep aside for at least 10 minutes.
- For dredging, mix together the all-purpose flour and cornflour in a large bowl. Add in the marinated chicken and mix until the pieces are well coated. Dust off the extra flour.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Fry the chicken pieces on low heat until cooked and golden. Make sure they do not brown.
- To prepare the black pepper sauce – mix together oyster sauce, light soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper, and honey in a large bowl. If you want it spicier, you can add a teaspoon of red chilli flakes.
- Heat 2 tbsp of sesame oil in a pan. Add in finely chopped garlic and saute for a minute. Do not brown.
- Add in diced onions and diced bell peppers. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add in the sauce mix and boil it for 2-3 minutes.
- Make a slurry of 1 ½ tbsp cornflour with 3 tbsp of water. Add it to the sauce and cook until it thickens.
- Finally, add in the fried chicken pieces and mix until well coated. Add a bit of water if needed.
- The Spicy Black Pepper Chicken is ready to serve. Garnish with sesame seeds.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.