Spicy Masala Pan Fried Fish
Servings: 2 people
Juicy and succulent fish fillets coated in a spicy curry masala. Try out this quick and easy recipe for the melt-in-the-mouth Spicy Masala Pan Fried Fish. Perfect for a special dinner party or a mid-week meal.
- 500 gms fish fillets
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black peppercorns
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
For the curry powder
- 4 tbsp coriander seeds (dhania)
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1.5 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 4 whole Kashmiri red chillies
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2" piece of cinnamon
- 1 tsp green cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder (saunth)
- 2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- To begin, prepare the curry powder. Dry roast coriander seeds (dhania), cumin seeds (jeera), fennel seeds (saunf), Kashmiri red chillies, fenugreek seeds (methi dana), mustard seeds (sarson), black peppercorns, cinnamon, and green cardamoms seeds until aromatic. Cool and grind into a fine powder.
- Remove to a bowl. Add garlic powder, ginger powder (sounth), and turmeric powder (haldi). Mix well. The curry powder is ready to use.
- To prepare the fish, pat dry the fillets until they are completely dry.
- In a dish, mix together 4 tsp curry powder, salt to taste, coarsely ground black pepper, and 1 tsp turmeric powder.
- Coat the fillets in the spice mix until they are well coated.
- Heat a non-stick pan or a tawa. Add a tbsp of oil and spread it evenly. Add in the fillets and cook on medium heat on each side until crisp. Around 2-3 minutes depending on the size.
- Remove to a serving dish. Squeeze some lemon juice on top and serve hot.
- The fish fillets should be completely dry or the masala will not coat well.
- I have used basa fish for this recipe. You can use the fish of your choice.
- The curry powder can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every week.
This post was created for the Blogaberry Creative (Monthly) Challenge.