Spicy Tandoori Momos (Grilled Vegetarian Dim Sums)
Spicy dim sums or dumplings marinated in a delicious tandoori masala and grilled. Try out this lip-smacking and popular Indian fusion recipe that is a family favorite.
For the dough
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Water for kneading
- Oil for brushing
For the filling
- 2 cups finely chopped or grated cabbage
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1" piece of ginger finely chopped
- 8-10 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2-3 chopped green chillies
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp green chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp curd
- 2 tbsp besan or gram flour
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black salt or kala namak
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp kasoori methi
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- Oil for deep frying
- Onion rings and lemon slices for garnish
- To begin, prepare the dough for the momos. Take all-purpose flour in a large bowl. This would make around 12 momos. Add in the salt and knead a soft dough using water.
- Brush it with a bit of oil. Cover and leave aside to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- To prepare the filling, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add in the finely chopped garlic and ginger. Saute for a minute.
- Add the finely chopped onion and saute until translucent.
- Add in the chopped cabbage, grated carrots, and chopped green chillies. Mix well and cook until the water dries up.
- Add in light soy sauce and green chilli sauce. Cook again until the water dries up. Check the salt and add more if required. Leave aside to cool.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Roll them out. Or you can roll out a large piece and cut out the 3 ½” diameter circles using a bowl. Make sure they are not too thin.
- Place a wrap in the palm of your hands. Apply water to the edges. Add in a teaspoonful of stuffing in the middle. Crimp the edges and gather them in the center for the desired momo shape.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Deep fry the momos until they are lightly colored.
- To prepare the marinade, in a large bowl, mix together curd, besan or gram flour, ginger garlic paste, Kashmiri red chilli powder, kasoori methi, chaat masala, black salt, salt, garam masala, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Heat 2 tbsp mustard oil to smoking point and add it into the marinade. Mix well into a smooth paste.
- Add in the fried momos and mix until they are well coated. Leave aside for 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the gas tandoor or place a grill over the gas burner.
- Take a skewer and assemble the momos on it. Place the skewered momos on the grill and cook until they colorize. Baste with a bit of oil or butter for added flavor.
- The Spicy Tandoori Momos are ready to serve. Garnish with onion rings and lemon slices.
- For the filling, I prefer the chopped cabbage to the grated one since it has more crunch.
- Fried momos work best for tandoori momos because by frying they get good texture and the marinade sticks to it. Also, steamed momos are too delicate and difficult to handle when marinated.
- If you are using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water before using them.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.