Subz (Vegetable) Biryani
Basmati rice, vegetables, and aromatic spices combined together for a delicious Vegetable Biryani that is just as lip-smacking as its non-vegetarian counterpart. Why should vegetarians be left behind?
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (carrots, beans, potatoes, and cauliflower cut into cubes)
- 200 gm paneer (cottage cheese) cut into cubes
- 3 medium onions sliced
- 3 tbsp curd
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2-3 green chillies chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp fennel powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves (tej patta)
- 1 tsp kewra essence
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 black cardamoms
- 6 green cardamoms
- 1″ piece of cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 pieces of mace
- 1 star anise
- In the same oil, deep fry the paneer and the potato cut into cubes until they colorize.
- Add in the ginger garlic paste. Saute for a minute. Add in the chopped green chillies and cook.
- Add in the cumin powder (jeera), coriander powder (dhania), fennel powder (saunf), salt, Kashmiri red chilli powder, and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Top the rice with the fried onions, mint leaves, coriander leaves, and the remaining paneer pieces. Add a tablespoon of the onion flavored oil and kewra essence.
- Cover it with a lid. Switch on the flame and cook on high for 2-3 minutes. Reduce the heat and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- You can use any vegetable of your choice and nuts for a richer biryani.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.