Sweet & Spicy Brinjal (Eggplant) Pickle
Servings: 4 people
Got some brinjals and cannot decide what to do with them? Try out the Sweet & Spicy Brinjal Pickle that is a hit with even the fussiest of eaters. Works great as a condiment or a side.
- 500 gm baby brinjals
- 1/2 cup mustard oil
- 3 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3-4 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 tsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 tsp black salt or kala namak
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 3 tbsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 3 tbsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 3 tbsp jaggery powder
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- To begin, clean the brinjals, cut off their tops, and slice them into quarters.
- Heat mustard oil to the smoking point and let it cool a bit.
- Fry the brinjals in batches until they color slightly. Do not overcook.
- Remove half the oil. You can add it back when storing the pickle.
- Heat the oil. Add in mustard seeds (sarson) and fenugreek seeds (methi dana). Allow them to splutter.
- Add in ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chillies. Saute until it changes color.
- Add the fried brinjals and mix well.
- Now add in the dry masalas – black salt or kala namak, Kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder (jeera), and coriander powder (dhania). Mix until the pieces are well coated.
- Finally, add the powdered jaggery and whitevinegar.
- Cook for a minute or two until the liquid dried up a bit. Check the salt and add more if required. Finish with a teaspoon of garam masala powder.
- The Sweet & Spicy Brinjal Pickle is ready to serve. Enjoy it as a condiment or a side.
- If you are using the longer brinjal variety, cut them into 3” long slices.
- If you are using jaggery chunks, melt them in the vinegar before adding.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.