Tomato Basil Paneer Masala
Craving some paneer masala and looking for a low-calorie version? The Tomato Basil Paneer Masala is just the recipe for you. With the subtle flavors of basil, it is a family favorite and always high in demand.
- 200 gms paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2-3 chopped green chillies
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
For the marinade
- 1 cup curd
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- Coarsely ground garam masala (see below)
Coarsely ground garam masala
- 6 cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1" piece of cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 5 green cardamoms
- 1 star anise
- Next, add in the tomato puree and tomato sauce. Cook until the liquid dries up. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool. Do not add the marinated paneer now or the curd might curdle.
- Once the mixture has cooled down, keeping the flame on low heat, add in the marinated paneer. Mix well.
- Cook until the gravy begins to bubble. Turn off the heat. Do not overcook or the gravy may curdle.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.