Tomato Gobhi (Cauliflower in Rich Tomato Gravy)
Cauliflower florets in a rich and creamy tomato-based gravy. Tomato Gobhi is one of my signature dishes and is always high in demand. Try out this easy-to-cook recipe that is a family favorite.
For the Cauliflower
- 250 gms cauliflower florets
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Oil for deep frying
For the Gravy
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- To begin, blanch the cauliflower. Take the cauliflower florets in a large bowl. Pour about 3 cups of boiling hot water over the florets until they are well covered. Add a teaspoon of salt and keep aside for 10-15 minutes. Once the florets are blanched, drain them and keep aside.
- In another bowl, add in the all-purpose flour, cornflour, salt, Kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder.
- Add in enough water to make a smooth batter.
- Now add in the florets and mix until they are well coated. Check the salt and add more if required.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Fry the cauliflower florets on medium heat until they are cooked and golden in color. Remove and keep aside.
- To make the gravy, Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Add in the finely chopped onions and saute until they are translucent.
- Add in ginger garlic paste. Saute for a minute. Do not brown.
- Add in the tomato puree and the tomato sauce. Mix well. Add in Kashmiri red chilli powder.
- Now add in cream and mix well.
- Add in the cauliflower florets and mix until they are well coated.
- Finally, add crushed kasoori methi and garam masala powder. Check the salt and add more if required.
- Cover with a lid and simmer on low heat until you can see oil on the surface.
- The Tomato Gobhi is ready to serve. Garnish with sprigs of fresh coriander leaves.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.