Tomato Thokku / Thakkali Thokku (Tomato Pickle)
- 500 gms tomatoes
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp jaggery powder
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp salt
Dry roast masala
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 tsp chana dal (split chickpea)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds (dhania)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- To begin, dry roast mustard seeds (sarson), fenugreek seeds (methi dana), chana dal (split chickpea), and coriander seeds (dhania) until aromatic. Cool, grind it into a fine powder, and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add in chopped tomatoes. Add in salt and mix well. This helps the tomatoes cook faster. Cover with a lid and cook until they release water.
- Add in jaggery powder and tamarind paste. Mix well. Cover and cook for a few minutes. Once it begins to dry, mash it a bit with the back of the spoon. Saute until the tomatoes are cooked and the water dries up a bit.
- Now add in the dry masalas. The powdered dry roast masala you prepared earlier, Kashmiri red chilli powder, and turmeric powder. Saute on medium to low heat until the oil starts appearing on the sides.
- For tempering, heat oil in a tempering pan. Add in mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Add asafoetida (hing) and curry leaves.
- Pour the tempering on the tomato mixture. Mix well. Cook for a minute or two. The Tomato Thokku is ready to serve. Enjoy with idlis, dosas, or rice.
If you enjoyed the video above, subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every Tuesday.