Yakhni Pulao is a popular rice dish from North India. Each rice grain soaked in flavor, my recipe is as easy as it gets.
- 250 gms mutton
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp yoghurt
- Salt to taste
For the potli
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1" piece of ginger
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 5 green cardamom
- 2 black cardamom
- 1″ piece of cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 1 piece of mace
- Soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- Tie all the potli ingredients in a muslin cloth. Boil the mutton in 2 1/2 cups of water with the potli and a bit of salt until tender. Drain well and keep the stock and mutton pieces aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add in the sliced onions. Cook till light brown.
- Add in the ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute.
- Add in the mutton with yoghurt and saute it until brown and the water dries up. Add a bit of water and saute again.
- Add in the drained rice. Mix well.
- Add in two cups of the stock. Check the salt and add more if required.
- Cover with a lid and cook until the rice is done. Take it off the fire and leave it covered for a while until the grains separate.
- Serve hot.