Breadcrumb Halwa (Nut-free)
Servings: 4 people
Start the New Year on a sweet note. Breadcrumb Halwa is another recipe from my mother's kitchen and a family favorite. Using just five basic readily available ingredients and is quick and easy to make.
- 6 slices fresh breadcrumbs (2 cups)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 5-6 crushed cardamoms for garnish
- To begin, trim off the edges of the bread slices. White bread works best for this recipe. Crumble them into breadcrumbs. Make sure they are not too fine.
- Whisk together two eggs and keep aside.
- For the sugar syrup, mix sugar and water in a pan. Bring it to a boil and cook until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- To prepare the halwa, heat the oil in a pan. Add in the breadcrumbs and cook until golden brown.
- Now add in the sugar syrup and cook until the liquid dries up a bit.
- Add the whisked eggs and mix well. Cook until the oil begins to appear on the sides.
- Finally, add the cardamom powder and mix well. My kitchen is a nut-free kitchen. You can add the nuts of your choice now.
- The Breadcrumb Halwa is ready to serve. Garnish with crushed cardamoms and serve hot.
- My kitchen is a nut-free kitchen. Feel free to add nuts of your choice.
- Do not brown the breadcrumbs too much since they will colorize more when the sugar syrup is added.
- You can skip the eggs for an egg-free version. Adjust the consistency accordingly.
Subscribe to the Mads’ Cookhouse YouTube channel for a new easy recipe every week.